A Certificate Course for Health Professionals, Educators & Leaders
Sponsored by the Centre for Interprofessional Education, University of Toronto
In Canada and abroad, government and health care sectors have placed importance on developing a curriculum to change the way health professionals are educated and trained. This course will enhance your natural leadership abilities to teach excellence in Interprofessional Education (IPE), helping to build an IPE community of leaders in healthcare.
Coordinated by the Centre for Interprofessional Education and a team of health professionals across the health sciences faculties at the University of Toronto, this certificate course is designed for health professionals interested in interprofessional education and interprofessional practice.
Participants are selected through a call for application process whereby they must submit a 250 word abstract of a interprofessional project/activity that they hope to undertake. Please see the Application tab for additional information.
Goals and Objectives
This course aims to develop leaders in interprofessional education who have the knowledge, skills and attitudes to teach both learners and fellow colleagues the art and science of working collaboratively for patient-centered care. By the end of this faculty development program, participants will be able to achieve the following objectives:
- Recognize and teach the importance of professional role understanding as an essential component for collaborative practice;
- Experience and teach ways of effective team communication and the role of reflection in health care teams;
- Practice skills in facilitating interprofessional teams particularly within an educational context;
- Acknowledge professional attitudes and cultural values and recognize their impact in the educational context;
- Understand and develop a program to teach how collaborative practice is used to enhance patient-centered care;
- Learn ways of evaluating the role of collaborator in educational contexts; and
- Define the current challenges facing educational leaders in moving IPE experiences forward at an institutional level and analyze these using an organizational framework.
This program is designed for:
- Health Professional Educators & Clinical Practice Leaders
- Healthcare Professional Development Educators
- Faculty Development Leaders
- Master of Science in Community Health (MScCH) Students
- Post-graduate & Undergraduate Health Professional Educators
- Clinical Teacher Certificate, Graduate Studies & Academic Fellowship Programs, DFCM, University of Toronto
- Health Professional College Directors
- Health Professional Program Directors
- Individuals interested in pursuing interprofessional education initiatives